This serves as a basic guideline of what you can expect on a typical coworking day and may address some of your questions. A more complete manual with logistical details will be given to those who have joined.
Please be aware that a personal visit and tour are required prior to confirming any level of membership.
What the community expects of its members
- Treat other members with courtesy and respect, understanding their primary role for being here.
- Help to create a comfortable but professional environment.
- Connect with other members.
- Treat the space with respect especially to art exhibits!
- Keep current with membership dues and keep payment methods up to date.
- Contribute work for the good of community, including cleaning, marketing, and other activities that increase the livability of the space and financial viability of the community.
- Please make sure that your guests recognize and be respectful of LOOM as a shared work space.
What the community expects of the leadership
- Be open to suggestions from the members.
- Actively communicate and connect with Members
- Keep the space running so that it is functional and comfortable.
Our culture is important to us. We aim to make LOOM a welcoming, inspiring and friendly community, away from the professional distractions of household chores, kids, dogs, etc. We value openness, curiosity and collaboration; the key factors that drive success. Our hope is that you will naturally make friends, meet people, collaborate, and bring your positive energy and ideas to LOOM creating an innovative and exciting environment. Please make sure that you and your guests recognize and be respectful of LOOM as a shared work space.
We believe in work/life balance and positivity. When you are here, we ask everyone leave negative vibes, confrontational behavior and personal problems at the door.
Please look after our wonderful building and consider doing the following:
- If you see something which is broken or not quite right, please let us know.
- If you think something isn’t working as it should, or, could be better, please let us know.
- Please help to keep the place clean and tidy. Make yourself at home in the space, but treat it with respect.
- Please clean up after yourself and return items where you found them.
- Please make visitors feel welcome, let them know who you are and what you do
- If you notice anything out of the ordinary, please let us know.
We are a welcoming and friendly community. We do not accept discrimination in any way, shape or form. We also ask that publically acceptable language be used in business and social situations at all times for the respect of all members. If something is clearly inappropriate, please speak directly to us. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the property, around the main building or the studios.
Please see the website for details on membership levels. Your plan can be adjusted at any time.
Working, noise and using the space
Hot desk members can work anywhere within the space except a dedicated desk that has been assigned. We encourage you to work in different places throughout the day & sit by different people! Those who need large equipment in addition to their laptop (such as a screen too large for one of our lockers) must become a dedicated desk member.
A shared environment will never be completely quiet (nor do we want it to be!), but all members are expected to be respectful of the needs of others. Noise needs to be kept at a reasonable level. Please be conscious of those around you and their need to focus on their work. Please consider to the guidelines below:
- LOOM is not a library. Members should feel comfortable making the noise they need to get the work done!
- Feel free to have voice/phone conversations in the space at a reasonable level just like in a regular office. Most members do take conference calls out in the work areas.
- Go ahead and work with others – that’s what collaboration is all about! Longer and louder conversations can be moved to one of the back work areas, an open and unreserved meeting room, outside or perhaps a downtown restaurant!
- Please keep phones on vibrate & don’t use speaker phones in main space.
- Be conscious of cell-yelling. Most cell phones can handle a normal speaking voice!
- Bluetooth headsets are encouraged for privacy and ergonomics.
- If you need to focus & don’t want to be interrupted use the balls of yarn by placing it on your desk to signal to others you wish to be left alone (“don’t mess with me, I’m on a roll!”).
- If a person doesn’t have a ball on their desk, it is assumed you are welcome to engage unless it is evident they are on a conference call.
- Phone booths are used for more private conversations or for intense concentration for less than one hour unless no one is waiting. These do not have to be reserved … just jump in!
- If there is an unexpected need for use of a speaker phone or an impromptu meeting and an unclaimed meeting room is available, members can duck in and use it or reserve it last minute.
- The back work areas are yours to escape to for concentration, relaxation, etc.
Members should be considerate and clean their work areas when they are finished working each day. Assigned desk membership allows the members to leave their equipment at the assigned desk overnight. Members are welcome to leave items out while they step out to meetings or lunch.
Building access is supplied through the Vizpin app on the back right door. All new part-time and full-time members will be walked through this process. See last page for additional information.
The main entrance doors will typically be open between 8.00am and 4:00pm Monday to Friday although members are still asked to utilize the reader on the back rear door upon entering whenever possible.
Part time and Full time member access to the main building is from 7:00am-7pm Mon-Fri and 9:00am-3:00pm on Saturdays. Member access to the Studio building is from 5am-Midnight. Visitor and Day Pass Member access is from 8am-5pm.
As the work space is rarely utilized on Saturdays, members should be aware that there are often other events on Saturdays in the event space and occasionally in the lounge. Members are welcome to utilize the podcast studio, meeting room, and back work areas during these overlapping times if needed. Should you decide to come in on a Saturday or ever need use of the meeting room or podcast studio after hours, please let us know and we can give you alternate entry information.
Special events, meetings and classes take place here throughout the week so please check the online booking calendar to see if there is a function that would impede your use of the space. Otherwise, we encourage you to use the studios any time you need to work with a team member, have some heads down time, or spread out a big project!
We encourage all members to invite friends and business associates to try out coworking as well as to host meetings in our facility with outside guests. Your membership covers your use of the space. We define a guest as someone who is actively meeting with a member in the event space or meeting room, but doesn’t maintain an active membership with us. You may actively meet with guests throughout the space. For non-members who are not actively meeting with you, who are staying and working alongside of you for an extended period, or who are present when you aren’t, we require them to purchase either a day pass or become a member. The member who invites and gives access to non-members is responsible for their guest actions in both financial and legal capacities and should accompany them at all times.
Reserving conference room, podcast studio and the lab:
Members may reserve private spaces in advance by reserving the times they need them online through Cobot. We ask that members be reasonable and considerate of other members, especially during high use hours, and not use them excessively. Members are welcome to have non-confidential meetings with clients throughout the open areas or outside without reserving a space.
In order to minimize disruption to LOOM, members can host events that are open and applicable to other community members during specific low use times (7:00-9:00 M-F; 5:00-7:00 M-F, 9:00-3:00 Sat and lunches when appropriate in the Gallery, any time in the Studios).
- All accounts, room reservations, and member profiles (keep updated!) are maintained through Cobot
- All member communications are via Slack.com/App, Cobot and
- The space has two methods of wi-fi access. Guests and Members
LOOM has a printer/scanner/copier located in the workspace. At this time there is no printer management and printing is on the honor system. Members are asked not to take advantage and only print a few pages per day.
Any equipment needed for a meeting or event (such as the mobile television) should be reserved via Cobot when the space is reserved. See director with questions.
Breakroom, Bathrooms and Supplies
In general, supplies are located where they are needed, based on whether event guests should have access to them. LOOM has a kitchen area with a refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave that members can use.
- Anything left on the coffee counter or on top of the microwave is “fair game”!
- Coffee and tea are free and the first person in the office is encouraged to make a pot of coffee to share.
- LOOM is BYOC … Bring Your Own Cup! We all have our favorite coffee mug with your team logo, inspirational message or sarcastic comment. Bring yours and claim it proudly. If you see someone with a solid generic cup, you know they are a newbie or a visitor and you will know to be super friendly!
- Members are asked to wash their own dishes and clean up any spills they create. There is a basket in the kitchen for dirty wash cloths and a cabinet with extra paper products, cleaning supplies, etc.
- Snacks and sodas are offered via honor system. A tally sheet is located on the refrigerator for you to mark with hashmarks. 25 cents per snack will be added to your bill at the end of the month unless otherwise requested.
Locked storage available for rent.
We encourage members to have lunch here with coworkers and even grab take out and bring business associates for lunch! There are several dining options where we get discounts. Generally, every Friday we go out for lunch so check SLACK on Friday morning for location and time.
Members may (for an additional cost) receive mail and packages at LOOM, use our address for business filings as well as use LOOM as your Google registration address.
The LOOM community calendar is kept on the Facebook page. Events, collaboration opportunities, new members, etc. are announced on SLACK each week!
Members are encouraged to:
- Keep cards on the literature rack
- Announce business promotions, awards, news, etc. via SLACK and share on social media
- Use our space for any lunch and learns or other public events that benefit you and your business
LOOM part-time and full-time members are encouraged to take advantage of the members-only discounts offered from local vendors and service providers.
Members are encouraged to actively participate via social media networks by sharing articles and other helpful information and events.
Generally, once a quarter there is a party (family game night, Christmas potluck, etc.) to allow families of members to get to know the community members. Feel free to suggest other social activities!
Within the space, you’ll find several bookshelves with books offered by the Members to share with one another.
There are several options for free parking on our property and throughout the area. Please refer to LOOM parking plan for specifics.
VIZPIN Door Reader Access
For members and event organizers to access the space, we grant access based via a phone app. The app uses Bluetooth to trigger the door reader. This way, you do not have to have a key or a key fob to carry around.