Meet Rebecca Rhodes, President of the Institute of Leadership Development
We are proud of our members and how much they have grown, personally and professionally. Unlike many coworking facilities, we consider ourselves a community and love getting to know them, their goals and their passions ….. we think you will too!
Rebecca is a full time coworking member at LOOM. She and her team hold their weekly meetings here, their workshops in our training room, and she meets her clients here for individual consultations. Recently, she hosted the most amazing Lunch & Learn on dealing with difficult people!
- Tell us about yourself: Originally from the Tampa Bay area in Florida, I moved to South Carolina in 1985. Studied Music at Florida State University and quickly learned after having a Music Studio of 100 students that I didn’t want to teach music, just enjoy it. I went into Banking where I worked for over 30 years ending up as head of training and development. I am married, live in Baxter in Fort Mill and have one son who is a behavioral psychologist. I have been a lifelong learner and have been trained by some of the best including Zig Ziglar.
- What is your company and who are your customers? Sextant BNS, Inc dba Institute of Leadership Development started in 1989 first as a sole proprietor and evolved to an S Corporation in 1999. We provide coaching, consulting and training for customers in every industry over the years for example: ministries, charities, manufacturers, public and private schools, cities, municipalities, law enforcement, lawyers, CPA’s, and family owned businesses. We also have individual clients to coach topics such as parenting, career development, family communication, and life coaching in general.
- How did your company, organization or venture start? In 1989 after 4 mergers and acquisitions in the banking industry, I decided to start my own company and began as a trainer and consultant looking to help small businesses. My first client was Bowater (paper mill) in Catawba, SC with 1100 employees and the adventure began. I spent over 9 years in and out of Bowater and developed a love for helping organizations change culture. We began coaching before coaching existed as a career to facilitate lasting change. We consider ourselves experts in communication, change management, culture change and leadership development.
- What do you actually do on a daily basis and why? Every day is different for us. Some days we are training staff in topics such as communication, conflict resolution, and accountability. Another day can be spent on site with a leadership team coaching them to become a high performing team, one-on-one with leaders, managers, or supervisors, or facilitating strategic planning meetings, resolving conflict, or organizational redesign. We love seeing people grow to be the best they can be while having fun.
- What’s your past life? How did skills and background that got you here to where you are? I am a lifelong learner. Once I learn something, I can get bored and move on. In my 70 years I have worked in a funeral home, taught and ran DWI and Defensive Driving Classes for the National Safety Council, judged and ran Miss America preliminaries in the state of Florida, served as Executive Director for a non-profit, ran the Jesus Video Project for SC where we raised 4 million dollars to distribute the video (DVD’s) throughout the state, was certified to teach Zig Ziglar programs, I continue to teach at Ministry schools, and currently serve as Chairman of the Board for Christian Services in Lancaster, SC.
- Any new customers you are targeting, new services being offered, etc.? We are hoping to grow our business in working with Leadership Teams and helping individual leaders develop through a new adventure called “C-Suite Conversations.” That will be a closed group of 5-10 business owners or C Suite level leaders from noncompeting industries to meet twice a month to develop themselves into stronger Relational Leaders and grow their businesses. Another new adventure is in helping families and particularly, parents in coaching stronger communication and parenting relationships.
- What are your personal and/or professional goals? Grow ILD to a place where, we can provide funding through a foundation to help start-up businesses with finance resources and coaching for the first two years. Immediate goal to automate the rewrite of our foundational assessment. Finish well, as President and transition to new leadership so I can write more (already have one book published), enjoy life on my porches, and play more.
- Other than your work, what are you most passionate about? Nurturing people – I don’t see it as work. It is the core of who I am and love seeing people happy, healthy and successful in their own lives.
- Why did you initially come to LOOM? Transitioning from office space in a duplex that served – one side as an office and the other side as residence.
- How do you feel you have benefited or grown at LOOM? Any anecdotes? Love the professional environment, opportunity to meet others, and provides flexibility in space.
- What do you want to MAKE SURE to cover before we close??? I believe we cannot out give God, so if we can help the LOOM community in any way, please ask.
- Where can we find out more about you on social media and online? www.ildcoach.com and Facebook as @ILDcoach
- What is the best way to contact you? Cell/text 803-289-0010 or email Rebecca@ildcoach.com
Want to explore the benefits YOU will get from coworking and joining the LOOM network of professionals?
Reach out via our Contact page to come in for a free day of productivity (and coffee)!